Make Life More Joyful
"You should have a life you love. Let's uplift women and do great things. Make life more joyful." – Sheila Long
In this episode, Holly & Kristin talk with Sheila Long about:
- Her decision to start her own business after she decided to leave the world of big corporate America to focus on family.
- How Sheila began to get acclimated to a new city and make friends and contacts that would later be so important to her beginning her business.
- The power of women helping women to succeed.
- There are so many issues in society, and women play a crucial role in moving forward on these issues, especially when they unite.
- As a society, we do not celebrate women taking risks like we do men. Women working with other women helps make that easier for would-be women entrepreneurs.
- Find your tribe of women or a personal board of directors when launching a business or re-inventing yourself. Your loved ones don't want to see you fail and may hold you back in the interest of trying to protect you from all the unknowns and possible failure. People outside your immediate circle can give you the feedback you need most.
- Be open to admitting you can't do everything and reach out for help. Hire an accountant or virtual assistant to allow you to focus on the work you do best. Sometimes it's hard to trust that someone else will do it as well as you.
Sheila Long is the Founder of MalamaDoe, A Coworking Community for Women in Shorewood, Wisconsin, that she began in 2015. Sheila believes in inspiring awesome women to get connected professionally. She facilitated her local Project Management Institute Expert Panel for many years while holding various roles on local boards. Prior to consulting, Sheila worked for over eleven years at Motorola in high tech sales, quality, and service management. Sheila received her MBA in Strategy and Finance from the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago. She earned International Business, Economics, and Spanish degrees from Saint Louis University where she enjoyed four semesters on their campus in Spain, fine-tuning her cultural knowledge.
Sheila currently resides in Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, with her three children. Whenever she's not creating change for the betterment of women's careers, you can find Sheila connecting and building communities while expanding her cultural knowledge, learning a new language, and obsessing over healthy eating.
Everything we do revolves around making this world a better place by helping women use their talents to be the best they can be. We believe women who are empowered by one another and role models build community, help society, and flourish.
We showcase great female role models building community one woman at a time. We help women take supported and calculated risks to develop their talents personally and professionally.
We inspire women to get connected professionally by branding themselves, marketing their talents, and promoting themselves and others.
We cater to women with their own businesses who are taking supported and calculated risks by aiming high and looking for growth – all in areas that showcase their talents.
Connect with Sheila:
Guest Resource Links:
UPLIFTING WOMEN HOSTS Kristin Strunk and Holly Teska
Your co-hosts of the UPLIFTING WOMEN PODCAST, Holly Teska & Kristin Strunk, are women who UPLIFT other women at work and in the world. Every other week they bring uplifting women guests to share their personal stories of challenge and triumph to inform and inspire their listeners. The podcast also features guests who have played a significant role in honoring women and their place in the world by serving as promoters, sponsors, and coaches to the many women in their personal and professional lives.
Join Holly and Kristin as they hear how their guests navigate the world of career aspirations, life, love, and family. Get advice from successful women who have figured out their own version of "secret sauce" to create the life they love.
Holly believes the world needs the best leaders it can build; those who demonstrate integrity, empathy, humility, vision, positivity, and confidence. This type of leader brings out the best in others and delivers outstanding results. Holly feels we need everyone to perform at 100% to making our world a better place. Holly's experience in leadership, executive coaching, and talent development is the foundation of her career. She has helped bright and motivated leaders become the very best versions of themselves. Through direct feedback, reflection, experimentation, and honest conversation, she will push you to excel at what you were called to do. Holly is especially committed to helping women navigate the choppy waters of today's fast-paced workplace and evolving world conditions but works with many different individuals and situations. She welcomes inquiries for leadership and executive coaching and speaking engagements.
Kristin's experiences have led her to the simple conclusion that leadership is simple - maybe not always easy, but simple. Her work supporting leaders in finding their voices inspired her to find her own voice in the space of employee experience and leadership development. She often hears the question that isn't being asked and is skilled at facilitating conversations and building relationships. She has helped executives lead organizational transformations involving employee engagement, technology, and the new "Future of Work."
Follow her hashtag #responsibleleadership on social media to learn more about simple things leaders can do to build relationships and have a lasting positive impact.
Connect with Holly:
Connect with Kristin: